Ciphercloud is First to Provide Cloud Data Protection Across Wide Range of Cloud Applications, Removes Security Barriers to Cloud Adoption
Solution Provides Complete Privacy, Control and Visibility over Enterprise Data in the Cloud Without any Impact on Applications or the End-User Experience
CUPERTINO, CALIF. – Feb. 10, 2011
CipherCloud, a leading provider of cloud data security and compliance solutions for cloud and SaaS applications, today unveiled the industry’s first cloud data protection solution that allows enterprises to address cloud security concerns, which include data privacy, residency and regulatory-compliance requirements. In addition to providing critical security capabilities, CipherCloud is the first and only solution that has no impact on application performance, requires no cloud application changes and does not affect the end-user experience. Armed with the ability to have complete control and visibility over enterprise data in the cloud, enterprises can now accelerate adoption of cloud applications such as Salesforce.com, Google Apps and other key applications.
“CipherCloud has blasted out of the gate with a powerful and easy to implement solution that solves our cloud adoption challenges. We have tried different data privacy and residency tools and solutions in an effort to go live, but nothing worked until we found CipherCloud,” said James Williamson, information technology coordinator at New Democratic Party of Canada. “We are impressed by CipherCloud’s robust technology, security and performance.”
CipherCloud cloud data protection solutions are powered by a revolutionary technology combination that is based on patent-pending format-and-function-preserving encryption and tokenization, along with a cloud security gateway. This allows customers to encrypt data on the fly before it leaves the enterprise while also capturing all user activities. When data passes through the gateway, it is encrypted, or tokenized as defined in the configuration, and the key always remains with the customer. CipherCloud ensures that only the customer can access the data, regardless of where it resides. CipherCloud is deployed easily in the cloud or the customer’s data center, and users do not need to modify their cloud applications or network environments for it to work. There is no impact on application interaction or functionality, and CipherCloud remains transparent to the user.
“CipherCloud offers a unique way of eliminating persistent concerns about cloud computing by providing security where the data originates, before it ever leaves the enterprise,” said Pravin Kothari, CipherCloud founder and CEO. “This approach allows users to deal with multiple data security issues – data privacy, data residency, compliance, governance, security and monitoring – in one stroke. By bringing a previously unavailable level of security to cloud-based applications, we believe CipherCloud will provide enterprises complete control and visibility over enterprise data in the cloud, and enable them to accelerate cloud adoption and exploit the cloud’s full potential.”
Features and Benefits
- Data Security – Data is encrypted or tokenized prior to leaving the enterprise, and the only set of keys resides with the enterprise; this protects the data and makes it unusable for anyone without the keys.
- Privacy – Because data is protected before it leaves the enterprise, only authorized users can access it. Personally Identifiable Information (PII), Protected Health Information (PHI) and other regulated data remains protected after it leaves the enterprise.
- Data Residency – Because data is protected before it leaves the enterprise and jurisdiction, only authorized users can access it, even when the cloud provider’s data center is in a different jurisdiction.
- User Activity Monitoring – Unlike most cloud solutions, CipherCloud enables customers to have consistent logging of user activities across all cloud applications, enabling organizations to manage compliance and forensic requirements such as finding out who is doing what, where, when, in which application and on which object. This feature is very valuable and can be useful after a breach or incident. In addition, the solution provides feeds into leading SIEM and governance, risk and compliance (GRC) solutions.
- Regulatory Compliance – Enterprises can address data privacy, residency and regulatory requirements such as PCI, HIPAA, HITECH, EU Data Protection Directives, FISMA, NPP and PIPEDA.
World-class Management Ensures Success
Kothari has an over 20-year history of successfully bringing new products to market. He was founder, CTO and interim CEO of Agiliance, a leading GRC software company. Kothari also co-founded and was vice president of development at ArcSight, a leading security company that was recently acquired by HP for $1.5 billion.
CipherCloud has already been recognized for its advancements in the cloud data protection field. RSA® Conference 2011 named CipherCloud as a finalist in the “Most Innovative Company at the RSA Conference 2011” Innovation Sandbox, taking place during RSA Conference 2011.
Additional Benefits for Cloud Application Providers
CipherCloud is an attractive product for cloud application providers to incorporate into their offerings, as it deals with the biggest concerns potential customers have about adopting cloud applications; it can also lead to increased use of cloud applications in existing accounts. Providers will appreciate the ability for customers to independently manage their own privacy and regulatory issues. The level of protection afforded by CipherCloud will make cloud-based applications more attractive to potential customers in high-end and heavily regulated industries such as multi-national companies, finance, insurance, healthcare, energy and government.
Visit CipherCloud at RSA Conference 2011 at Innovation Sandbox Kiosk on Monday, Feb. 14, 2011, and at Cloudforce 2011 in New York on March 3, 2011.
Pricing and Availability
CipherCloud will be available in March. Pricing varies from $5 to $20 per user per month.
CipherCloud provides cloud data protection solutions with revolutionary technology based on format-and-function-preserving encryption and tokenization, along with a cloud security gateway. The solution protects enterprise data in the cloud with full privacy, control and visibility, without impacting application functionality and third-party integration. CipherCloud completely eliminates data residency, privacy, security and regulatory compliance concerns associated with cloud applications and accelerates cloud adoption in the enterprise. Visit CipherCloud at https://ciphercloud.com.
CipherCloud and the CipherCloud logo are trademarks of CipherCloud.