Largest US Hospital Chain Trusts CipherCloud for Salesforce to Help Meet HIPAA and HITECH Rules
Equally good news was these security measures would be seamless to users….
- Headquarters: Nashville, Tennessee
- Industry: Healthcare
- Products: Over 162 hospitals, 113 surgery centers in 20 US states and London
- Employees: 200,000
- Founded: 1968
- Needed to develop portal for connecting hospitals to service providers
- Reduce high-costs and obsolescence of building custom in-house systems
- Key regulations: Assure privacy, HIPAA, HITECH compliance
- CipherCloud for Salesforce provides custom Cloud Encryption Gateway
- AES 256 encryption of private patient records
- Secure email integration via Easylink
- Achieved rollout of up-to-date communication CRM and email systems
- Reduced costs and internal infrastructure with ability to easily add more services down the road
Major Healthcare Provider Places Provider Portal in the Cloud
World’s Largest Healthcare Company Trusts CipherCloud for Salesforce to Help Meet HIPAA and HITECH Rules
This prominent healthcare company started out in Nashville in 1968 as one of the nation’s first hospital companies. Today, the company is one of the world’s largest providers of healthcare facilities with over 162 hospitals and 113 surgery centers in 20 states.
The company needed to develop a portal that would connect their hospitals with service providers in the cloud. They wanted a more modern communication platform with a simple user interface, including email, to facilitate and speed communication as well as save on the high costs of custom in-house systems. But first, a few HIPAA and HITECH regulations regarding the security of patient records had to be dealt with.
The convenience of a cloud-based portal to connect their hospitals with their service providers offered innumerable advantages. A large percentage of their 200,000 employees were potential users of the portal accessing records and using email. They wanted their email system, Easylink, integrated into the platform, along with load balancing and high availability. They also wanted the interface to be easy to use without introducing a big learning curve.
This healthcare chain selected Salesforce (SFDC) as their portal platform, along with some additional requirements for the project, including:
- Securing a cloud-based communication portal for hospitals and service providers to exchange information
- Implementing AES 256 encryption of sensitive healthcare data
- Integrating Easylink email without storing unencrypted data in the cloud
CipherCloud for Salesforce was the option of choice for meeting their SFDC-based portal. CipherCloud provided this company a means to be in control of their sensitive data going to and from the cloud. Through AES 256 encryption and other protective measures, all their information would be guarded by their own security policies, including the healthcare regulations they needed to adhere to.
Equally good news was that these security measures would be seamless to their workers and service providers accessing the Salesforce cloud functions. Additionally, Easylink would be integrated and they would have in-depth visibility into all of it through detailed audit reports. They could also scale the solution as needed over time.
This healthcare provider was pleased to implement their Salesforce CRM system as a more modern platform that fostered better communication for employees and partners while bypassing the high-costs and obsolescence of building custom in-house systems. They also:
Leveraged a cloud-based SFDC platform and partner portal while assuring data security
Achieved rollout of more up-to-date communication CRM and email systems conveniently managed by cloud providers
Reduced costs and internal infrastructure with ability to easily add more services down the road